This apple flan is made with New Zealand Envy apples (Envy apples are rated as the best in America right now), a minimum amount of flour to bind it together, and olive oil. This is a healthy tart that is no more than 140 calories.
Prep time: 20 mins, Cook time: 30 mins
- Envy apples - 1 kg (about 7 small apples)
- Flour - 70g - just over 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon - 1 tsp
- Azzuro Groves' Tuscan Blend Olive Oil - 20ml
- Brown Sugar - 50g
- Eggs - 2
- Milk - 100ml
- Peel the apples and thinly slice them.
- Whip the eggs with the sugar until creamy
- Add the sifted flour, cinnamon, olive oil and the milk & continue whipping until well combined.
- Add the apples and mix together thoroughly.
- Lay a sheet of baking paper on the bottom of a 20 cm round baking tin to make it easier to remove the cake and grease and flour it.
- Put the apple mixture in the tin and level it with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 200C & then leave it in the switched off oven for 10 minutes with the door ajar.
- Let the cake cool down completely before removing it from the tin.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Recipe inspired by Alida, My Little Italian Kitchen