By Leta Shy, Fitness Instructor (adapted from Martha Stewart)
With fresh, unprocessed ingredients, homemade salad dressing is often much more nutritious than those store-bought versions. This simple apple cider vinaigrette is one such example. Apple cider vinegar is known to be a digestive-, immunity-, and natural-energy-boosting food, and it also may have appetite-suppressing powers. And at just over 80 calories per one-tablespoon serving, this salad dressing imparts big flavour into your favourite salads without the need for high-calorie ingredients.
I added mustard powder and dried basil to the basic apple cider vinaigrette recipe, but you can add different herbs and spices to your liking.
1/4 cup Azzuro Bush Honey *
1/4 cup Due Vittorie apple cider vinegar *
1/4 cup Azzuro extra virgin olive oil *
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 small shallot, minced
Juice from 1 lemon
Salt and pepper
- Whisk together honey, apple cider vinegar, shallot, lemon juice, mustard powder, and dried basil.
- Slowly pour in olive oil while whisking to emulsify.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into jar with lid and refrigerate. Makes about 1 cup of dressing.
* available in the Azzuro Epicurean store