- 4 egg yolks
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 250mls milk
- 300mls cream
- 100g Parmigiano Reggiano parmesan, finely grated
- 1 punnet strawberries
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar
- Due Vittorie Oro Balsamic Vinegar *
- In a bowl beat together egg yolks, caster sugar and cornflour until pale and creamy.
- Mix in the milk and cream. Transfer to a saucepan.
- Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is nearly boiling and coats the back of a spoon, ( this can also be done in a double boiler).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the grated parmesan until it melts.
- Allow to cool. Pour into a plastic container. Cover and freeze until firm. This will take 6-8 hours.
- Remove the hulls from the strawberries and if large cut in half lengthwise. Place in a bowl and toss through icing sugar.
- Serve in a small dish a scoop of ice cream, strawberries and drizzle over Balsamic vinegar.
By Di Swann
* available in the Azzuro Epicurean store