Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 35-40 minutes
1 red onion, thinly sliced
10-12 vine-ripened tomatoes
1 ½ cups flour
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup boiling water
¼ cup Azzuro Blend extra virgin olive oil *
Due Vittorie Oro Balsamic Vinegar *
Fresh basil leaves
- Cook the red onion in a dash of oil in a frying pan over a low heat until soft. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200° Cut tomatoes in half and place cut side down on paper towels to drain for 10 minutes.
- To make the pastry, place the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Pour the olive oil and boiling water into the flour and mix to form a soft dough – if necessary add a little extra boiling water.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth.
- Lightly oil the base of a 24cm ovenproof frying pan or low sided ovenproof dish. Spread the cooked red onions into the base of the pan. Place the tomatoes cut side down on the onions, ensuring that they are packed in tightly.
- Roll the pastry out to a 26cm circle about 3mm thick . Place the pastry on top of tomatoes, tucking in the edges to fit neatly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and stand for 5 minutes. Invert the tarte onto a serving platter. Drizzle with Balsamic vinegar and garnish with fresh basil leaves before serving.
* available in the Azzuro Epicurean store